Our mandate is to enable emerging and professional artists in all disciplines, to bridge cultures, and to build strong and healthy communities through the arts.
Located in CityScape Community ArtSpace, the organization consists of a volunteer Board of Directors, an Executive Director and support staff, and over 100 dedicated volunteers. Our membership is over 500 strong and includes individuals, students, seniors, families, cultural groups and businesses.
Watch this video we’ve put together to introduce you to North Van Arts:
View the Annual Report-2018-19 here.
- Established the first Heritage Committee in North Vancouver
- Preserved the former City Hall of North Vancouver, a 1902 heritage building, originally the North Vancouver School, which was rededicated as the Presentation House Arts Centre in 1976
- Created and produced the first North Shore arts promotional vehicles: Arts Access Magazine and Arts Access Television Show, forerunner to the Arts Alive Magazine and Arts Alive monthly fresh sheet in the North Shore News
- Instrumental in creating a tri-municipal Arts Commission designed to assist local governments in the development and promotion of arts and culture in their communities
- Organized, fund raised for and installed a number of community public art pieces including: Cathedral by Douglas Senft (steel sculpture at Waterfront Park, 1986), Bugs by Jacqui Berglund (meandering mosaics along the waterfront walkway, 1998), Friendship Gate by Chilean Ceramic Group (a community garden gateway, East 2nd Street, 2004), Centennial – Imagine Our Future City Overpass by youth contestants (etched granite slabs, 2007)
- Instrumental in saving and preserving the Fred Amess Art Collection
- Instrumental in producing three community murals created by local youth
- Created a scholarship fund for art students at Capilano University
- Created a Youth Cultural Development Endowment Fund
- Facilitated the million dollar regional millennium project Visions of the North Shore
- Recipient of the 2009 Business Excellence Award in Arts & Culture, North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce
- Instrumental in the creation of CityScape Community Art Space, an interactive community art gallery and cultural administration offices
- Spearheaded the North Shore Cultural Mapping Project (began 2016)