Call for Nominations:
North Vancouver Community Arts Council Board of Directors
The North Vancouver Community Arts Council (North Van Arts), founded in 1969, is a grassroots, social-profit, charitable cultural organization whose mandate is to enable emerging and professional artists in all disciplines, to bridge cultures, and to build strong and healthy communities through the arts. The Society aims to provide opportunities for artists and the broader community through programmes, projects, exhibitions, and cultural events throughout the North Shore and advocate for arts and culture on behalf of our community. Its core values include ensuring accessibility to all community members; encouraging artistic understanding and development; promoting an understanding and appreciation of the cultural heritage and diversity of this region and supporting collaboration.
North Van Arts is seeking nominations for new Board members. We are looking for thoughtful and active members of our community from diverse backgrounds with connection to North Vancouver and the arts. Additional assets would include experience in areas such as business, sponsorship/donor development, or cultural diversity work.
Term of office for this volunteer position is one year for the first year on the Board, beginning at the AGM in early October. The North Vancouver Community Arts Council Board is a Governance Board, overseeing the operations of a non-profit, charitable society managed by a full-time Executive Director.
Located in CityScape Community Art Space, the organization consists of a volunteer Board of Directors, an Executive Director, and six support staff, over 75 dedicated volunteers and over 350 members, including individuals from students to seniors, families, cultural groups, and businesses.
We value: integrity, professionalism, connections & contributions, innovation, experiential interaction, flexibility, accessibility, collaborative relationships, community building.
- To promote an understanding and appreciation of the cultural heritage of this region, and the cultural
development of our communities.
- To advocate, educate, and promote the intrinsic value of the arts in all disciplines.
- To inform and educate the community of the cultural needs of the North Shore.
- To initiate, stimulate, and encourage cultural programs, projects, and events that are inclusive and
- To support the work of cultural groups in our community, to encourage public involvement in cultural activities, and to promote public education and understanding of cultural diversity.
- To initiate and participate in creative partnerships that cross cultures, generations, and sectors and build on cultural awareness and opportunities.
- To act as a hub for information on cultural events, programs, projects and services within the North Shore
Board meetings take place evenings (generally 7-9 pm), the third Tuesday in the month at CityScape in North Vancouver, 9 times a year (no July, August, or December meetings). The AGM takes place in early Fall.
North Van Arts is committed to equity for their staff, contractors, volunteers, members, and Board of Directors regardless of national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or age.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please contact by September 30, 2021: Nancy Cottingham Powell, Executive Director, North Van Arts, nancy[at]northvanarts.ca, 604-988-6844.