Municipal Election 2018
North Vancouver Arts, Culture, Heritage
Candidate for City Councillor
1. As a candidate, what are your views on the roles that arts, culture and heritage can play in North Vancouver?
I believe culture is an important part of life and I am a big supporter. We encourage all our children to take up some type of cultural activity. Now our eldest is a professional musician and making a good living and our youngest is a gifted animator. I am a photographer and I have served on four out of five of the groups you represent. So yes, I am a big supporter!
2. How would you describe the impact of the cultural sector on our community?
It is part of building a sense of community and the arts brighten up our environment. It also provides great opportunities to be entertained and enlightened.
3. Do you know how much the North Vancouver municipalities invest in the arts? Would you commit to advocating for an increase in that cultural investment for arts, culture, and heritage to build cultural capital in our community?
Yes, I support proper levels of funding. Supporting the Arts are just as important as supporting sports in the community.
4. Will you work to ensure access to affordable, sustainable cultural spaces for artists and arts organizations? Please provide details.
Yes and I have supported building more and better Arts/Cultural spaces in the community in the past.
Cultural Identity & Heritage
5. How important is it that North Vancouver residents understand the stories/history of their community and can access the places where these stories are explored?
It is very important. Our shared history is what goes into who and what we are as a community.
6. Given the development of high density neighbourhoods, how can North Vancouver support the retention, renovation, and reuse of historic and/or heritage building, structures, or places?
I know we have a Heritage Inventory and I think we must preserve where possible heritage building and places. I was horrified when we stripped many of the heritage aspects of the Shipyard, like the ship’s stern.
7. Do you support regional cultural initiatives between the District of West Vancouver, City of North Vancouver and District of North Vancouver that promote arts and heritage on the North Shore, including the North Shore Cultural Mapping project?
Sounds like a great idea!
8. How do you propose to improve cultural tourism in North Vancouver?
When ever I go somewhere I look online to see what sort of things there are to do in a community, which almost always includes info on cultural experiences that I can go to. So that online presence is very important to travellers and visitors. A downloadable cultural map should be an important part of that online effort.
9. North Vancouver has not updated their cultural plan since 2002. Would you support work to update the cultural strategy?
Yes, but I will have to see what the City is currently doing here. So much to do and so little time to do before the election.
10. Please describe how you personally engage in the cultural life of your community.
I go to galleries, musical events/concerts and other parts of cultural life here. I enjoy the experiences.