North Van Arts welcomes submissions for the You Are Here calendar each winter
check back on this page in January 2023 for the call for 2024 calendar
This calendar tells the story of the region through artistically rendered images of locations, places, or scenes that are recognizably in North Vancouver or West Vancouver, on part of the territories of the Squamish Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
By submitting your art, you add your voice to this story, and inspire people to imagine that You Are Here.
why: To showcase the history, traditions, and diversity of the North Shore, complementing content on the North Shore Culture Compass and building awareness of the culture & heritage of the North Shore Region. To raise funds for the ongoing work of the North Shore Culture Compass.
what: Paintings, prints, or drawings in any media that represent local scenes, scenery, buildings, sites, people, or locations, that may or may not still exist, will be considered. Representations of stories & traditions connected to this place are also welcome.
Past images have included The Shipyards, Hollyburn Lodge, Deep Cove sailing, Canada Day at Waterfront Park, Ambleside views. and creations inspired by stories and archival photographs. See previous editions of the calendar here.
how: Submit your work using the online form below. No jury fees are required. North Van Arts sells this calendar as a fundraiser for the North Shore Culture Compass, therefore artists are not paid for the use of their image.
promotions & sales opportunities
exhibitions: North Van Arts and West Vancouver Community Arts Council present exhibitions of the original art in Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 respectively. Artists receive 70% of art sales. North Van Arts will produce 5” x 7” art cards of the images, sharing 50% of sales profits with artist.
online map: North Van Arts will produce a StoryMap of all included art. The StoryMap shows the location that inspired the art and includes artist information, linking to artist websites.
marketing: when/where possible, we photograph artists at the location that inspired the artwork, sharing these images/videos on our social media platforms and email marketing with over 11,000 followers/subscribers.
who can submit: We invite artists at any stage in their careers to submit, North Shore residency or North Van Arts membership not required. We encourage submissions from all races, ethnicities, identities, abilities, ages, and genders.
what you need to submit:
- Name, mailing address, phone number, website, and email address;
- Only images of paintings, prints or drawings will be considered for this calendar (photography, digital imagery, and graphics will not be considered);
- Digital image (max 5 per artist, up to 1MB each), print quality image will be required for selected work;
- Image information to include title, size, and medium; (sample filename: FirstLastname-Title)
- Calendar images will be landscape orientation (ratio 14:10); images submitted in portrait format will need to be cropped for the calendar.
- If accepted, original images must be available for exhibition Fall 2022 and Early 2023;
- A short biography, artist statement. story about submitted work (optional)
Deadline for submission was Sunday, May 1, 2022
We respond to everyone who has submitted once the adjudication panel has made its decision.