This 4-week course will develop foundation skills of life drawing using plant life as a subject. Each class will focus on different materials, including graphite, charcoal, ink and mixed media. Each material will be explored in a variety of methods, using a range of formal techniques and qualities including line, cross hatching, contour, perspective, gesture, balance, and flow. Using their favourite houseplant or outdoor plants, students will practice translating perception onto paper while also exploring abstraction and perceptions other than sight.
- Scrap paper or newsprint for warm up sketches
- Mixed-media paper (pad or at least 10 sheets) minimum size 9”x12”
- Variety of graphite drawing pencils, such as 2H, HB, 4B
- Variety of charcoal, such as willow sticks, compressed charcoal, soft/medium/hard charcoal pencils
- Variety of ink pens, such as fineliners, permanent markers, brush tip OR Chinese bamboo brush & india ink
- Variety for mixed-media, such as pencil crayons, chalk pastels, watercolor, gouache, acrylic, collage materials, markers etc.
- Q tips or blending stick
Registration is per household. Feel free to grab a family member or roommate and take class together!
North Van Arts is committed to offering accessible pricing for our arts education classes. There are a limited number of tickets available at a discounted rate – you decide what works for you. Select the 30OFF ticket to choose this option.
Class is delivered live via Zoom, and the class recording will be emailed to participants the following day.