Acrylic paints are very popular amongst artists for their brilliant colours, and ease of handling and rapid drying. This course is intended for anyone who would like to try acrylic paints for the first time, or brush up their fundamental skills. The course will examine the characteristics of acrylic paints as a medium, basic colour theory, colour mixing, composition layering and brushwork. It is a hands-on course, combining demonstration and guided hands-on painting.
The workshop is designed with a four session format:
- Session 1: An initial verbal presentation on acrylic painting, equipment and colour theory, followed by colour mixing exercises in two-colour and tonal colour mixing. The instructor will demonstrate the exercises, then supervise the students.
- Session 2: Students will complete a simple still life, such as a selection of fruit, practicing colour mixing techniques learnt in session 1. The instructor will demonstrate at stages, then supervise the students.
- Session 3: Students will begin a 20”x16” painting from a common composition, chosen by the instructor, who will combine demonstration with personal advice to each student.
- Session 4: Students will complete the painting begun in session 3, from a combination of instructor demonstration and personal advice to each student.
By the end of the course, it is hoped that students have gained the practical skills to handle brushes, mix paint, build up layers and apply brushwork to approach a subject of their choice with some confidence.
Course supply list:
- Heavy-body acrylic paint, any brand:
- Titanium White
- Blue (Phthalo or ultramarine)
- Red (Cadmium or Naphthol)
- Yellow (Cadmium or Hansa)
- Dioxazine purple
- Cadmium Orange
- Burnt umber
- Green (Phthalo or Permanent)
- Payne’s grey
- Transparent Iron oxide or burnt sienna
- Yellow Ochre or Indian Yellow
- Marker, pencil or charcoal for sketching;
- Letter-size or larger sketchbook for colour mixing practice;
- One 16”x20” stretched canvas or canvas panel;
- Acrylic Brushes, ½ inch, one round, one angle & one bright;
- Water holder, with brush cleaner.
- Paint & Peel Palette, 11”X14”
- Rags or paper towels