North Van Arts invites visual artists to participate in the annual juried intake for our Art Rental Programme. This programme promotes the appreciation of visual arts in our community by making the work of local artists available for display in homes, offices and film and television production sets. Art rental provides individuals and businesses with an affordable and flexible way to enjoy a wide range of original 2-dimensional artworks including paintings, photography and mixed media works.
The Art Rental Programme generates revenue and exposure for individual artists through renting their work to our large and diverse clientele. Rental fees are based on the price of the artwork as set by the artist. Royalties are paid to artists semi-annually (less a 30% administration fee). Clients may also purchase artwork from the collection. The Art Rental Programme provides clients the unique opportunity to “try out” artwork in their homes and offices that they may later purchase.
Due to COVID-19 there are several changes to this year’s adjudication process for new art rental work. Most notably, submissions by the artists, including a photograph of each artwork, must be made online. Adjudicators will select artworks from the submitted photographs. If their work is selected, artists will be notified by email and a time will be scheduled for them to deliver their work to CityScape Community ArtSpace. Only the selected artworks are required to be delivered to the gallery.
Please read carefully through this page to find out how to prepare your submission.
- Artists may submit 1 to 3 pieces for consideration;
- A jury fee of $15.00 is required to be paid online by each artist at the time of submission;
- Only 2-dimensional artworks including paintings, prints, photographs and mixed media works will be accepted. 3-dimensional artworks, video or audio-based works will not be accepted. Diptych or triptychs are ineligible, nor may they be submitted as single works;
- Submissions must include for each artwork the Title, Medium, Dimensions (width x height), Selling Price, and additional details if Framed or Matted;
- Works must be at least 8” x 10” and no larger than 48” x 48”;
- All works must be properly finished for hanging using durable materials for the wire and eyelets (D-rings are preferred) attached to the frame 1/3rd of the way from the top of the frame, stretcher or mounting board so that hardware does not protrude and the top of the piece does not lean excessively forward off the wall. Artwork is frequently transported and handled so they must be durably constructed. We do not accept pieces with relief or fragile surfaces that may be prone to damage;
- Each artwork being submitted must be accompanied by a photograph that accurately represents the work. Avoid the use of in-camera settings or image enhancement software tools such as HDR (High Dynamic Range), picture styles, excessive colour saturation or filters.
- There is no guarantee that every artist who submits their work will have artwork selected for the programme. The decision of the jury is final.
- Artists must become members or are already active members in good standing with North Van Arts. Prior membership does not influence the jury’s selections;
- Artists will receive a contract for each artwork. Accepted artwork is contracted to the Art Rental Collection for a minimum of one year;
- Artists will be contacted to schedule a time to deliver the artwork(s) to CityScape Community ArtSpace on the following weekends: Sat-Sun Nov 28 & 29 and Sat-Sun Dec 5 & 6.
Before you Begin the Submission Process:
Name your photo files: Lastname-Firstname_Artwork-Title.filetype (.jpg, .jpeg or .png-24)
- Images should be evenly lit, properly cropped, colour balanced for accurate rendering, sharply focussed, and free from extraneous distractions such as shadows or glare. If the artwork is framed, include the frame in the photograph;
- Images must have maximum pixel dimensions of 2048 pixels on the longest side (width or height) at a minimum document resolution of 72 pixels per inch (ppi) to ensure optimal rendering and allow enlargement for a variety of on screen display purposes (e.g. Art Rental website gallery, social media channels, and virtual gallery exhibitions);
- File size of each image must be from 500 KB to 3 MB;
- Images must be saved as .jpg, .jpeg or .png-24 file types only.
See the attached Photographing Your Artwork pdf for some helpful tips on documenting your artwork for submission. See the Art Rental online gallery for examples.
Deadline: Saturday, October 24 at 11:59 PM
New work accepted into the Art Rental Collection from this jury will be available for rent and sale starting with the Art Rental Show exhibition at CityScape Community ArtSpace in January 2021.
For further inquires email: email@example.com