North Van Arts is excited to announce the 15th Anonymous Art Show. This group exhibition and fundraising event will include emerging and established two-dimensional artists working strictly on unframed 8” x 8” x 1½” back stapled canvas or wood cradle panel.
This event is a significant fundraiser that contributes to our annual roster of exhibitions, education programmes, and community events, and we encourage you to join in on the fun! The concept for this show is for each artist to remain anonymous until after their work is purchased, therefore participating artists are required to sign only the back of the canvas to keep their identity unknown. Each piece is priced at $100. Sales are divided 50/50 between the artist and North Van Arts. Purchased paintings are immediately taken off the wall and given to the purchaser. In its place a sold tag will hang revealing the artist’s name.
This year is going to be a little different! Following feedback from visitors and artists, we have decided to have a ‘preview week’. North Van Arts has decided to include the preview week to allow the public to see the exhibition before works are sold and to help boost sales. The preview week will start on Friday, November 22 at 9am and continue until Wednesday, November 27, 5pm where guests can view the exhibition in its entirety. Buyers will not be able to purchase any of the works during this week. The Anonymous Art Show will then officially begin with the traditional Opening Reception and Sale Extravaganza on Thursday, November 28 at 7pm.
The sale will continue until Wednesday, December 18, giving the community an opportunity to purchase original art in time for Christmas.
All are welcome to submit. You do not have to be a resident of North Vancouver or a member of North Van Arts to participate. Due to its extreme popularity, the show is now gently juried; however, we will strive to include as many artists as possible. Artists can submit up to three pieces of artwork.
All Artwork MUST meet the following requirements:
- We ONLY ACCEPT unframed, 8” x 8” x 1 ½”, back stapled canvas or wood cradle panel. Canvases and panels are available to buy at your local Opus Art Supplies store.
- A limit of 3 submissions per artist
- Two-dimensional works only. No relief work or 3-dimensional work will be accepted.
- New submissions only. Previous years’ AAS works will not be accepted
- Full name, signature, title and website (if available) must be written clearly on the back of the canvas (Canvases signed on the front or sides will not be accepted.)
- All works must have a title and may not be called “Untitled”.
- Paintings must be submitted completely dry and unwired.
- Mark an “up” arrow on the back of canvas to indicate top
- Diptychs and triptychs are acceptable but will not be shown together
Please take note of these important dates:
- Submission Deadline: Saturday, October 26, 4pm
- Tuesday, November 19 – you will be contacted by this date if you have pieces that will not be included
in the show for you to pick up.
- Friday, November 22 – Wednesday, November 27 – Preview week. Please note, visitors cannot purchase work during this time.
- Thursday, November 28, 7 – 9:30pm – Opening Reception and Sale
Friday, November 29 – Wednesday, December 18, 2019 (sale continues)
Gallery hours: Mon-Fri 9am – 5pm / Thu 9am – 8pm / Fri 9am – 8pm / Sat 12 – 5pm
How to Submit?
Pick up a copy or download the fillable pdf of the Artist Contract/Information Sheet to be submitted with your artwork. All artwork must be received at CityScape Community ArtSpace by the deadline.
Deadline for submissions: Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 4pm
Drop off artwork any time prior to the deadline at: CityScape Community Art Space (3 blocks up from the Seabus)