Application Deadline: Friday, May 14, 2021
Pushing Boundaries is a biennial open-call exhibition to showcase and platform emerging local and national contemporary First Nations/Métis/Inuit, artists, makers and craftspeople. This exhibition is designed to celebrate contemporary Indigenous art practice, as well as those fusing contemporary and traditional creative techniques. Pushing Boundaries 2021 will be held at CityScape Community ArtSpace from Friday, October 8 – Saturday, November 20, 2021.
North Van Arts would like to engage a First Nations/Métis/Inuit Guest Curator to co-curate Pushing Boundaries 2021 alongside North Van Arts. This position will work closely with North Van Arts’ Exhibitions Manager, undertaking artist research, community outreach, adjudication, artist liaison, promotion, and the curatorial display/presentation of Pushing Boundaries 2021.
- Identify a theme and concept for the 2021 exhibition.
- Lead on artist research, outreach, and engagement with local First Nations/Métis/Inuit artists.
- Promote the Pushing Boundaries 2021 call among local First Nations/Métis/Inuit artists, as well as the wider Indigenous community.
- Adjudicate applicants, with North Van Arts Executive Director and Exhibitions Manager for Pushing Boundaries 2021.
- Liaise and communicate with selected exhibiting artists.
- Liaise and maintain regular communication with North Van Arts’ Exhibition Manager to help facilitate all logistical planning for the exhibition.
- Assist with the programming and implementation of an interactive compontent(s) during Pushing Boundaries 2021.
- With the Exhibitions Manager, curate and coordinate the exhibition display.
- Proven experience with artist research and curating exhibitions.
- Experience managing projects, working with artists, and coordinating art exhibits and installations.
- Experience with promotion and community outreach within the Indigenous community.
- Demonstrable knowledge of local contemporary Indigenous artists.
- A strong network of emerging, contemporary First Nations/Métis/Inuit, artists, makers, and craftspeople.
- Fine Arts qualification (advantageous but not essential).
- Excellent communication skills.
Fixed contract Fee: $2,500. Contract starts June 2021.
Please email a CV and Covering Letter to Leigh-Anne Niehaus, Exhibition Manager at North Van Arts by Friday, May 14, 2021.
Please contact North Van Arts for more information.